Quotes From King's UMass Lowell Speech

photo credit HERE

Stephen King spoke Friday at to about 125 writing students at the University of Massachusetts Lowell. Here are some quick notes from several articles:
  • When asked what scared him, King offered, "Spiders, snakes...my mother-in-law."  
  • What People Want To Know: "A lot of times when people come to see me I think they're really just wanting to see if I'm really that (messed) up," www.lowellsun.com
  • In your face writing: King told the audience of about 125 that his goal was to write stories that sizzle with emotion. "I'm a confrontational writer. I want to be in your face. I want to get into your space. I want to get within kissing distance, hugging distance, choking distance, punching distance. Call it whatever you want. But I want your attention." www.independent.ie 
  • Who's really writing?  "I've always wondered who I am when I write," King said, "because once I'm doing it, I'm not in the room with myself." www.omaha.com 
  • About Doctor Sleep: "People used to ask me, years later after 'The Shining,' what ever happened to that kid? ... I'd say 'I don't know.' But it started to kind of kick around in my brain, you know?" Because Torrance can read minds, King said he was intrigued by the idea of having the character work in a hospice as someone who helps people cross over from life to death." sunjournal.com

UMass Lowell students participate in a Q & A with author Stephen King Friday at the UML Inn & Conference Center. Sun/Bob Whitaker (Photo Credit: HERE)

The Lowell Sun reported some details of a 500 page manuscript.
Many of his best book ideas occur come to him as mutated observations of real-life happenings, King explained, including a recently completed 500-page manuscript that focuses on a suicidal police officer six months into his retirement, who receives a letter from a gloating killer. 
"I wanted to write it as a short story, and end it with the cop putting the gun in his mouth. But now, instead of a 12-page short story, I've got a 500-page manuscript -- because the thing just grew." www.lowellsun.com
I wonder if this is part of Joyland. . . but I think that book is much smaller.

The Sun also reports King as saying, "What I'm working on now is a novel that's about three-quarters done, and if I'm very lucky I will be able to finish it."

 

6 comments:

  1. Well, for the sake of staying on target.

    It's interesting to note that this cop against a serial killer plot might be a possible return of Bachman.

    ChrisC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall be Anonymous, too.
    You site has good info. I like a lot. Maybe I come back and read more tomorrow!
    read my site: stop spamming everybody because it's really annoying


    Anyway.

    So it sounds like there are three new King works coming out in the near future? I like the sound of that. Believe it or not, Dr. Sleep actually interests me the least. I'll read it, of course, but the story of what happened to Danny afterwards never occurred to me before and I still kinda don't care now. Joyland is what I'm most looking forward to; that sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

    And by the way...... THOSE LUCKY LITTLE BASTARDS!! 125 writing students.... when there are millions of people out there who would love to hear him speak. Jealous, much? You betcha!


    Michele (TheGirlWhoLovesHorror)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele. . . right on! I didn't bother to delete the spam just to show everyone how much blog admins have to filter through lately. It's getting REALLY crazy, and blogger is letting more and more slip thorugh.

    I'm most looking forward to Doctor Sleep. But it does indeed sound like there is possibly another novel in the works (of course there is! Silly me of even being surprised!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's with depressing Steve now-a-days
    "and end it with the cop putting the gun in his mouth"
    geez!

    -mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike, sounds to me like he couldn't end it that way, he had to press on. Depressing Steve is Pet Sematary. . . or Mr. Bachman. . . or Full Dark No Stars(1922)

    ReplyDelete
  6. King did a similar suicidal character in the short story All That You Love Will Be Carried Away which ran in 2000 I believe

    It looks as if we'll be getting another couple of novels in 2014
    (In addition to Joyland and Dr. Sleep in 2013)

    ReplyDelete